Tuesday, January 17

Mommy Cooks: Recipe Binder and Week of January 16

After a weekend of visiting family and birthday celebrations, we are ready for some home-cooked meals. Yesterday was a holiday and with loads of party food still left over, we ate our way through a full refrigerator. Now after a mountain of laundry that was put off because of our guests, the requisite cleaning that comes with having three extra people in the house, and the relief that comes with two successful birthday parties, I was wiped out and in no mood to menu plan before grocery shopping this week.

imageThat’s where my new handy dandy recipe binder is coming to great use. As I combed Pinterest right after Christmas looking for new ways to control the chaos in my life, I found some ideas on how to organize my recipes. Now a few years ago, I had this great idea to scrapbook all of those recipes you pull out of magazines that end up getting splattered with grease. Unfortunately, I don’t always refer to it and I end up forgetting which recipes I liked and which I didn’t. Sooo I needed a new plan.

This is where my new recipe binder came in. I grabbed page protectors and an old binder I already had. Instead of throwing down a ton of money on something I wasn’t sure would work, I’ve repurposed office supplies I already had and got to work printing out recipes for the first few weeks of the year. Each recipe gets it’s own protector and slips into the binder. Sticking with ease over perfection, I’m not organizing them into categories. As I prepare old standbys and new favorites, I’m printing and cutting recipes into an 8 1/2 by 11 size. Now all I have to do is open my recipe binder, choose the four to five recipes I want to make for the week and place them in my folder for the week (blog post coming soon on my new file system).

Here’s our menu for the week:

Monday – Leftovers

Tuesday – Shrimp and Avocado Tostadas

Wednesday – Spicy Beef Pitzas (we are substituting ground turkey for the ground beef)

Thursday – Pasta with Sausage and Tomatoes

Friday – Crock Pot Korean Ribs (I don’t even like ribs and I love these.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment